Pages in this section
The western façade
This façade was begun under the episcopate of Eudes of Sully from 1200 by the third architect and continued under his successors, including Guillaume D'AUVERGNE, after 1220 by the fourth. The North Tower was completed in 1240 and the South in 1250. It presents itself as a mass imposing, simple and harmonious which [...]
A first arrow was built above the crossroads of the transept around 1250. It was a bell tower which featured in the seventeenth century up to five bells. It was dismantled in 1786 to 1792.
The framing of Notre Dame de Paris is certainly one of the oldest structures we have in Paris with that of Saint-Pierre de Montmartre (1147).
The portal of the judgment
The portal of the judgment is the central portal of the western façade installed in the years 1220-1230, shortly after the other two portals of the façade. It represents the last judgment as it is written in the Gospel of St. Matthew.
The Sainte-Anne Portal
Portal Sainte-Anne is the portal of the western façade to the right. It was installed around 1200 before the other two portals of the façade. His eardrum * is the reinvestment of a previous tympanum made 50 years earlier for the previous Cathedral (the former St. Stephen's Cathedral).
The portal of the Virgin
The portal of the Virgin is the portal of the western façade to the left. It was installed in the years 1210-1220, so after the St. Anne gate, but the portal of the last judgement is slightly posterior to him. It traces, in the tradition of the Church, the death of Mary, his ascent to heaven and her Coronation as Queen of heaven.