Pages in this section
One of the greatest masterpieces of Christendom is the three rosettes of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.The rose Sud or Rose du MIDI was offered by King Saint Louis. The masters of works having conceived it are Jean de Chelles, then Pierre de Montreuil. The first masterpiece of the Cathedral, Jean de Chelles, posed the first stone of the façade of the south transept in 1258. The South rose, a veritable central piece on the façade of the transept, was built in 1260, echoing the rose of the North Crusader, which was built around 1250. As its northern pendant, the South rose, sees its diameter reach 12.90 meters, and, if one adds the clear-way on which it rests, the total height of glazing is almost 19 meters.
The stained glass windows of the cloister
During the great restoration campaign of the Cathedral undertaken by Lassus and Viollet-le-Duc, the sacristy was rebuilt entirely (the local precedents, raised by Soufflot in 1758, had been enormously damaged as a result of the riots of 29 July 1830 and especially of 14 February 1831 where the archbishops Palace and the sacristy were looted [...]
The high verrières of the nave
Le Chevallier de Notre-Dame by Laurent Thurnherrhistorian of the Artconservative Assistant of the departmental Museum Georges de la Touret of the departmental Museum of the SelConseil General de la Moselle born in Paris on 26 July 1896, Jacques Le Chevallier evolves rapidly within the artistic world with a father working in the middle of architecture and a mother [...]