The judgement portal is the central portal of the Western facade, installed in the years 1220-1230, shortly after the other two portals of the façade. It represents the last judgement as it is written in the Gospel of St. Matthew.
To the lower lintel, The dead are resurrected And come out of their grave. Just above, at the top lintel, The Archangel Michael weighs their souls And, following the life they have waged on earth and the love they have shown to God and men, the elect are led left to paradise (to the right of Christ) while the Damned are led by a devil to the right hell.
However Christ in the Eardrum*, majestically seated on his throne of Glory, Recalls that he came to Earth to save mankind, by his sacrifice on the cross. He shows the wounds of his hands and his flank while the two angels who surround him respectfully carry the instruments of Passion: the one on the left the spear and the nails of the Cross, the one on the right the cross itself. Jesus asks us to trust him and tells us that then everything will become possible for us, with his support and the help of all the saints who intercede for us, in the first place Mary and John the Evangelist placed here as at the foot of the cross on the day of His Crucifixion, Mary to her right and John to his left.
Above, as in the other portals, The covings * are occupied by the Celestial court (Angels, Patriarchs, prophets, Doctors of the Church, Martyrs and Virgins) and one can notice the very reduced place taken on the hell quite right. He therefore does not despair but keep his lamp lit like that of the wise virgins appearing in the abutment * left (on the side of Paradise), while in the opposite abutment, the foolish virgins no longer have oil in their lamp when the husband arrives.
This portal underwent two major changes in the eighteenth century.
First in 1771 where the architect Germain Soufflot [who built the church of Sainte-Geneviève in Paris, present pantheon.] removed the Thomas and the central part of the two lintels at the request of the Archbishop and the chapter, it was indeed necessary to facilitate the passage Of the dais under which the Blessed Sacrament was presented during the processions. The emptiness realized was replaced by a wooden arcade adorned with the figure of Mary enhanced by a crown carried by two angels. The heavy 13th-century leaves were replaced by two doors where the Christ bearing his cross and the other a painful virgin were carved.
Another avatar in 1792, the destroyed revolutionaries, as with the other portals of the cathedral, the large statues of the ébrasements.
During the great restoration Campaign in the mid-nineteenth century, The Duke Restore the original state of the portal by remaking, as well as the effigies of the wise virgins and the Foolish Virgins, the Thomas * and the statues of the Twelve Apostles placed in the ébrasements.
One recognizes successively:
– Left, Barthélemy, Simon, Jacques le Miner, André, Jean and Pierre
– In the Thomas, Christ the teacher, placed on a pedestal where the liberal arts are carved
– Right, Paul, Jacques le Major, Thomas, Philippe, Jude and Matthew
At the foot of the Twelve Apostles, medallions representing the virtues and vices opposite them, thematically taken up in the western Rose.