A first arrow was built above the crossroads of transept to 1250. It was a bell tower that featured in the seventeenth century up to five bells. It was dismantled from 1786 to 1792.
The Duke, at the time of the restoration work of the Cathedral, decides to set up a second arrow whose Frame would be independent of that of the forest on an octagonal basis based on the four pillars of the transept.
In 1860, he loaded the Carpenter Bellu of this work. The model is that of the two-storey Spire imagined in Orléans in 1852 which is fundamentally distant from that of the 13Th century. Moreover, this arrow is no longer a steeple.
The arrow dominates the Green-grayed copper statues of Twelve Apostles with the symbols of the four evangelists. Viollet-le-Duc has been represented in the guise of saint Thomas with its square. He seems to contemplate the Summit of his "great work".
Some figures impressive: 500 tonnes of wood, 250 tonnes of lead, a height of 93 m from the ground.
Finally, the rooster located at the top of the arrow contains three relics : a parcel of the Holy Crown of thorns, a relic of saint Denis and one from St. Genevieve. It thus constitutes a veritable "spiritual lightning rod" protecting all those who work for the praise of God, inside the Cathedral, icon of the heavenly Jerusalem. It was Cardinal Verdier, Archbishop of Paris, who replanted them in the presence of the canons chapter on October 25, 1935.