One first arrow was built above the crossroads of the transept around 1250. It was a bell tower which featured in the 17th century up to five bells. It was dismantled in 1786 to 1792.
Viollet-le-Ducat the time of the restoration of the Cathedral, decides to implement a second arrow which the framing would be independent of the forest on an octagonal base based on the four pillars of the transept.
In 1860, it loads the Carpenter Bellu of this work. The model is that of the arrow double-decker imagined in Orleans in 1852 that departs fundamentally from that of the 13th century. In addition, this arrow is no longer a Bell Tower.
The arrow dominates the vert-de-grise copper statues of Twelve Apostles with the symbols of four evangelists. Viollet-le-Duc was representing himself in the guise of St. Thomas with its square. It seems to contemplate the top of his "big Œuvre".
A few figures impressive: 500 tons of wood, 250 tonnes of lead, a height of 93 m from the ground.
Finally, the Rooster located at the top of the Spire contains three relics : a piece of the Holy Crown of thorns, a relic of Saint Denis and one of sainte Geneviève. It is a real "spiritual lightning" protecting all those and all those who work for the praise of God, inside the Cathedral, icon of the heavenly Jerusalem. This is the cardinal Verdier, Archbishop of Paris, who replaced them in the presence of the chapter of canons on October 25, 1935.